Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thanks A Lot

It's my mom's birthday tomorrow. It falls shortly after Father's Day so there's always a bit of an over lap in planning, which I'm usually left with the bulk of.
That's only partially a complaint. In all honesty, I like it that way. It leaves very little up to chance when I don't have to count on anyone, I know what's going on, I know that everything is handled (or failing that, that there is a back up plan) and I actually LIKE doing the planning. I LIKE making supper. I LIKE all of those things because it's one of the big ways I show that I care.
So when I was talking to my mom today and she mentioned supper tomorrow and that my brother had already spoken to her about it, I was a little surprised.
Before Father's Day I had asked him what he was planning and told him we needed to talk about it. Father's Day came and went and he didn't say a word. It's not unusual for him to just forget everything so I made a plan. I even took tomorrow afternoon off to make supper. I spent a week looking up recipes and figuring things out. I was figuring out desert and getting my grocery list together.
But no.
My brother had already spoken to her about dinner and failed to mention any of this to me.
I plan this shit out for every single occasion and the ONE time he decides to help it's by making all the plans AND NOT TELLING ME.
So all the hours I spent planning were for nothing. He left me without anything to do, which makes me feel like a fucking schmuck. And now because I'm mad, hurt and upset my mother wants to cancel everything and just not have a birthday because, you know, that doesn't make me feel even more like a fucking douche bag.
Awesome.
The best part is, if I hadn't spoken to my mother I would have gone to get groceries tonight and gone to make supper tomorrow so my idiot brother could show up with his own groceries in tow.
It's days like these I wish I could drink.

2 comments:

Bubblewench said...

You only need to bring a bottle of wine and flowers for mom. Sit back enjoy your brother doing this.You have the afternoon off to do what you want now...

It's for mom.

Gwenhwyfar said...

Too late. Apparently I'm the asshole.
Thanks, family.